DISCLAIMER: This website was established while I was a Member of Parliament.
Jo Swinson MP represents her home seat of East Dunbartonshire, having won it from Labour in 2005 and being re-elected in 2010. In September 2012 Jo was appointed the Minister for Employment Relations and Consumer Affairs in the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and Minister for Women and Equalities.
Former Deputy Leader of the Scottish Liberal Democrats, Jo chaired the All Party Parliamentary Group on Wellbeing Economics, the All Party Parliamentary Group on Body Image and was a co-founder of the Campaign for Body Confidence. She has also previously been a Liberal Democrat spokesperson on foreign affairs, equality, Scotland and the arts. Jo was a member of the Environmental Audit Select Committee from 2007-2010, and a member of the Speaker’s Conference from 2009-2010 which looked at ways to increase the number of women and BME MPs.
One of the first MPs in the UK to use Twitter, Jo is also active on Facebook and has her own YouTube channel. Before entering Parliament, Jo worked as a Marketing Manager for a number of companies, latterly the Glasgow-based company SpaceandPeople. Jo helped the company win awards including Best E-Business at the Scottish Winners at the Web Awards 2003. Outside politics, Jo enjoys running; she completed the Loch Ness Marathon in 2007 and the London Marathon in April 2011. When she can find the time, Jo also likes reading, hiking, and ceilidh dancing. Jo is married to fellow Liberal Democrat MP Duncan Hames.
- September 2012 – Minister for Employment Relations and Consumer Affairs
- September 2012 – Minister for Women and Equalities
- February – September 2012– PPS to Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg
- 2010–12 PPS to Vince Cable, Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills
- 2008-10 Shadow Foreign Affairs Minister
- 2007-08 Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities
- 2006-07 Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland
- 2005-06 Shadow Culture, Media & Sport Minister
- 2007 – 2010 Member of the Environmental Audit Select Committee.
EducationDouglas Academy, Milngavie
London School of Economics, Management